homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Monday, January 8, 2007

pilot post

This is where I'm supposed to introduce myself, attempt (heh) to define and explain myself, and try to get you interested in coming back to read more.

Hm.

I vaguely remember a quote along the lines of "Defining yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth." I'm not going to bother looking it up because it doesn't matter to me right now who said it or whether I got it absolutely verbatim. I just like the feel of it. It's...silly. It's like trying to stand in the same river twice. It's...well, insert your own witty or poignant metaphor here. I could write a precise dossier of my beliefs and interests and before the keyboard cools down, it will likely require revision. Hence my multiple abandoned former attempts at blogs. I'm just not the same person that I was yesterday. If I were, I don't think I'd be able to stand it. Stagnation? Humbug!

So, um, yeah. How to give you an idea of who I am. Today, anyway.

I'll start with the hard demographic facts. My name is Heather. My nickname, given to me by one high school classmate and gloriously preserved by another who has loved me through every stage of our lives between then and now, is Heaz. Pronounced so it rhymes with "fez". Or, for the more kitsch-minded, "Pez". I live in southwest Pennsylvania, and have for nearly all of my life.

I'm in my thirties and am married to a wonderful (really, ask my friends--it's been objectively confirmed) man who has full custody of his sons from his first marriage. (They are currently ages 13 and 10). The fact that I hit the ground running with this family thing means that I think about family a LOT. I imagine that I'll be writing about it a lot. Be prepared.

We also have, as of this writing, two gorgeous (again, objectively confirmed--would I lie?) sons that have joined our family via *my* participation. As I often say, I have four kids: two pre-owned, and two I helped to make from scratch. (Oh yeah, I love puns. I love metaphors. I love word play, period. Prepare to groan. Often.)

As of this writing, I am up to my eyeballs in preparatory reading for homeschooling/unschooling. I've always had the idea that it would be something I'd be interested in trying. Now I'm sure that it is What We Will Do for the younger two. (They are currently 3 years old and 9 months old). I will be journaling our experiences extensively. I'm sure some of those thoughts will be explored here.

What else? Um, compared to most, I'm probably pretty "crunchy". We recycle and compost and don't use pesticides. I am a nursing momma, we co-sleep with the little ones, I use cloth diapers *most* of the time, and my babies have been neither vaccinated nor circumcised. We do what we can to live frugally, save energy, reduce pollution, and generally live gently. That said, my home does not smell like patchouli, I do shave my legs regularly, and --guess what!-- I have plenty of friends who live their lives differently than I do, and I don't have seizures over it or anything! I know what is important to me. But I've dealt with and observed enough intolerance in my life that I try very, very hard not to be too harsh in my judgement of viewpoints and approaches that differ from my own.

Much. I *am* still human, right?

What else bears mentioning? Ah, of course. While I'm busy introducing the author of this blog, I should also note why I chose its name. Get ready with that groan I warned you about...it's lyrics. From a (*gasp!*) prog-rock band. (Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a total classic geek? Seriously. Trek and fantasy novels and everything.) I went through a good chunk of my life actually defining myself not by what I did or what I believed, but by what I liked (hey, why not) and for a while, instead of Heaz I was "rushchick". Totally loved Rush. I still do, but no longer in an actively obsessive sense. Anyhoo...it's a line from the song "Lakeside Park", which is about fleeting pleasures of youth. I really like the imagery. It keeps me focused on my priorities. Yes, there are Big Issues out there to contend with, but life is also filled with small, often-overlooked miracles that we can choose to make ourselves available to. Spend a little time with a toddler or two. You'll see what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there... I knew the reference as soon as I saw the title! :) Gotta love Neil for the imagery in his lyrics.

    Got a website recommendation for you, since you mentioned the wish to live frugally, re-use, etc: http://www.lifehacker.com. Somewhat techy, but there's usually something on there once a week that I benefit from.

    Nice to see you writing/blogging again. Keep us informed!

    ReplyDelete