homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Friday, February 16, 2007

a beautiful mess

I was babysitting my friend’s 1-year-old today. He has some pretty dramatic separation anxiety. Seriously...he did that scream-so-hard-you-gag thing for an hour straight. So I was giving him a lot of focused attention. In the meantime, I heard my two laughing themselves silly in the kitchen. My 10-month-old in particular was giggling hysterically, with those lovely baby belly laughs that make life worth living. I came out to see what was going on.

And found a kitchen full of rainbow confetti. What? Oh. My three-year-old had gotten into a bag of rainbow-colored Goldfish crackers. He threw handfuls of them onto the floor, and was doing a silly dance, stomping them to smithereens. This amused the baby to no end. Then he started skating around in the dust, while the baby scattered it everywhere and tried to eat it. Both still busting a gut. I said, slowly, “What do you think you are doing?” and my toddler answered, “Dis is big fun, Mommy! Whoa! It’s swippy, though!”

You know me. Of course I let them play in it a while longer while I took pictures. The baby was in a Onesie, so the crumbs stuck all over his skin until he looked like a birthday cupcake with sprinkles. Oh man, what a mess.

But you know what? Hearing that laughter and seeing my boys have a moment of such pure joy was totally worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're describing. The other day, my nearly 1-year-old daughter grabbed her sippy cup of milk, and with no prompting at all, began taking sips... then blowing raspberries... then giggling in amusement at herself.

    My wife and I could only laugh, and grab the videocamera. While we didn't want to encourage the behavior, her laughter was so pure and enjoyable, that there was nothing to do but relish the moment (and capture it).

    Some days, I wish she would never grow up and always be my baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, the whole point of having a dog is not having to clean the floor, or anything else within reach, in circumstances like these.

    ReplyDelete