homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Twisted fun

The boys and I made an unplanned stop at the library today. On our way out, I caught sight of a sign declaring, "Today is National Pretzel Day!"

Well, you know me...I got all geeked out and needed to do something about it. When we got home, Theo and I went through my "files" (ahem, stacks of unsorted papers) and found a recipe I'd clipped for making soft pretzels. Score! We got to work immediately. As we'd mixed and kneaded the dough, I got to thinking how these random fun celebration days could be springboards for all sorts of learning. Why, we could make this into a Homeschooling Moment! So while we waited for the dough to rise, I went online and Googled "Pretzel Day".

The first result linked to the About.com Homeschooling section. Doh! So apparently I'm not the first mom to think of this little piece of brilliance. But hey, at least I have outside confirmation that it's a good idea, right?

And for what it's worth, I'm really enjoying going through that site. I've avoided it thus far, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's a combination of my less-than-wow'ed impression at several other Guide sites and the fact that I'm tired of finding more information on ordering standardized workbooks than on learner-led "unschooling". I must say, I've been pleasantly surprised. The Guide (Beverly Hernandez) seems to have a decent sampling of information for the home-based learner, no matter what flavor. Yay.

And, because the story is always better with images...I present my guys!

Ahem...mixing the dough.

Kneading.
The finished product.


Oh, and by the way--apparently Pretzel Day was yesterday. Oops. Oh well, it was still a lot of delicious fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment