homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

This post feels familiar

Perhaps that's because my friend Muse recently posted something verrrrrrrrry similar. But hey, my kids are cute too and the experience is worth sharing.

The short version of our story, for those who haven't been keeping up with the drama, is that after a longstanding policy of catch-and-release and a short-lived experiment in kill-and-dispose, we decided to temporarily keep the mice we caught, to ensure that we weren't re-infesting our house with the same individuals over and over.

After two weeks of empty traps and clean silverware drawers, we decided that it was time to let our two (yes, only two!) prisoners free. Of course, I am still not keen on the idea of releasing them on our property in case they remember the way back into the house (and they do...I assure you, they do...) so despite warnings to the contrary, I chose a local municipal park as the site for relocation. Yeah, just call me Civil Disobedience Mom.

We went on the nature trail and Theo searched very carefully for a place he thought the mice would like.

Releasing mousie #1...

And #2.

Let's hope that we have to refer to these pictures to see mice from here on out!!

In other news, we found a wide variety of pretty mushrooms along the trail. This was the only picture that turned out decent, as I had a 14-month old flailing in the backpack carrier, trying to see just what the heck I was looking at.

I wish I knew more about the wild goodies in our region. After reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and an old Amish cookbook I picked up at a used book sale (you can eat poke? Well...some say you shouldn't, so I may not risk that one...) I've become interested in foraging and am eagerly awaiting my turn to read "Wildman" Brill's book. Apparently I'm not the only one with a recent curiosity, as there are 3 other folks on the "hold" list ahead of me. (Have I mentioned that I luuuuuuuuuuurve our regional library system? Seriously, it rocks.)

My budding mycologist.

See? Even if I wasn't interested in my own right, I'd still have to read up on this so I could feed his interest. That's what homeschoolers do! Heck, that's what parents do, isn't it??

4 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! They really turned out well... excellent color representation. Was that just using a point-and-shoot? Any post-processing?

    Anyway - nice work on the catch-and-release. I'm a proponent of that method, too, especially with spiders in our house (which my wife would rather just see flattened beneath a shoe or something else heavy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing fancy, just a new camera. :) I'm loving it. Kodak EasyShare C875. So easy that even *I* can get good pictures. LOL And it's 8MP so I set it at the highest res for detailed shots and crop/shrink/edit as needed later. Most shots don't need editing, though, as the automatic settings rock. And the manual's even better. I've taken candlelight shots with such clarity I'm still in awe. Yay new camera!!

    Oh, and FWIW, I'm a spider-releaser from way back. :) Except for the one I cohabited with in my single-girl apartment. No kidding; I named it and everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna turn you in, you know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL you better not! Here I am showing solidarity, sista! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete