homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Calendar

The latest concept that I've introduced to Theo (at least intentionally!) is calendars. It's difficult for a child to wait for a future event. In the past I have used construction-paper chains to count down to special days. At the end of each day, we tear off a link and watch the "days to wait" grow fewer as the chain grows shorter.

This month has a nice double-whammy: Theo's birthday and Halloween. Unfortunately, they both fall at the end of the month. Long wait. This time I decided to suggest a calendar. He took to the idea quickly. He's still a little confused about the left-to-right sequence of days (when I ask him to look for the "2", he's just as likely to point out the twelfth or the twenty-somethingth rather than the second), but he is catching on. And he enjoys crossing off that box at the end of each day. That's something that has always appealed to my own organization fascination, and I'm finding more and more that he and I are "wired" similarly.

The neat and unexpected thing, though, was his "project". He asked me for a hole-punch. I was too busy to stop and ask why, and just got it for him. A few minutes later, he asked me to come see what he had done. He had punched a hole near the bottom of the page, tied a string through the hole, and taped a pencil to the other end of the string. He has never seen this type of arrangement before. I could care less if he reinvented the wheel. I'm thrilled to death that my four-year-old reinvented the wheel. And without assistance. He saw a problem, devised a solution, and carried it out.

I'm a proud, proud Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment