homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Arts & Crafts...and recycling!

We are crafty!

We are fun!

We are frugal and green!

But mostly...we have cool new crayons. I followed the instructions in this nice tutorial, with the exception of using large plastic lids (from laundry detergent bottles; saved for another project but repurposed for this one) instead of cutting up aluminum cans as the poster suggested. Um, ouch. The plastic worked just fine. I raised them off the surface of the cooking pot with my canning rack, which worked well to provide even heat.

The "raw" materials:

Getting "soupy":

The molds:

I bought Wilton candy molds for $1.99 at JoAnn's. The car ones are particularly neat--they are designed to be used to cast chocolate around the end of a pretzel rod, which makes them roughly crayon-shaped and easy to use. As you can see from the picture, I dammed up the ends with Play-Doh to keep the melted crayon from spilling out. Worked like a dream.

Our new crayons:

And of course, the gratuitous action shot:

6 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! What a great idea to use the detergent bottle lids. Did you leave the papers on the crayons?

    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina! I started out peeling all of the crayons. But some of the cheaper brands must have used industrial-strength glue and were a real PITA to pick the paper off. So I ended up and left a bunch on. Those cups melted more slowly, but once the crayons were melted I just picked out the empty papers with a toothpick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just happened upon your post,interesting with great photo's,some of the candid shots you have of your kids are wonderful.
    Shame mine are too old for crayons now, but you have peaked my curiosity what were you going to do with the laundry detergent lids every time I recycle them it is with regret I always think there should be some use for them ,please tell what yours was.

    wanrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been planning to use the detergent lids as seed pots for starting some of my garden plants indoors. I've since decided to use recycled toilet paper rolls for that purpose, because you can just plant them directly and they'll biodegrade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! Doesn't everyone have too many plain old (and broken) crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't we all have way too many (broken) crayons! Great idea! And to those of you searching for ideas for the laundry BOTTLES I have been saving mine to let the kids use as watering cans for the plants and flowers.

    ReplyDelete