homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

And why aren't you in school...

I found this list of sarcastic answers to the question, as posed to homeschoolers. It's funny.

It also reminded me of a little bit of annoyance from yesterday. I took my children, who are 5 and 3, out to brunch. On a weekday. As we were getting out of the car, an elderly gentleman crossing the parking lot remarked, "Playing hooky today?"

At this point, only my three year old was visible. I am still trying to decide whether this guy was trying to be funny--either teasing my obviously too-young child or perhaps even me--or if he was actually being rude/accusing.

Either way, it rubbed me the wrong way. Now that Theo is getting older, I'm going to have to work on thickening my skin for such comments. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. When we homeschooled, we benefited from the local area's high rate of year-round schools. The assumption by others was that our kids were "off track."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they will keep on coming.

    "Why aren't you in school today," is a common one. Initially that one really bugged Nic, as it is all about 'you are in trouble.'

    But he's a veteran of stupid comments now and can smile and say, "nope, we homeschool and my teacher is right here."

    Neither of my boys suffer fools gladly either. They hate to be teased. I hate it when someone, upon learning that we homeschool, finds it funny to say things like, "oh yeah, then what is 2 + 2?"

    Thick skin, yep, and the ability to laugh most of it off. :D

    ReplyDelete