homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Food Friday: Apple Pandowdy

Just what is Apple Pandowdy? I don't know. Dina Shore knows*. But it was a mystery to me. So I turned to my trusty dusty tome of old-fashioned kitchen goodness, the Fannie Farmer cookbook. Sounds easy!

Just slice some apples,

Layer them in a pan and sprinkle with a little spice


and dump molasses all over it.


Bake for 30 minutes. While it's in the oven, invite your 4 year old to help you mix up the batter.



Take it out of the oven and spoon the batter on top.


Then back into the oven for 30 more minutes.

Voila! Apple Pandowdy!

It was easy to make, and visually appealing. The jury is still out on the taste, as it's currently cooling in the kitchen. I'll update later with the family's responses.

And, shhhhhhhhh, just in case it's not our favorite, I used the extra apples for a fallback dessert: crumb-top apple pie!


*And the Shoo-Fly pie? Maybe. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm game to try cooking it for my family. Someday.

1 comment:

  1. Um, just for the record? Apple Pandowdy is a fantastically fancy way to absolutely ruin 4 cups of apples.

    Totally gross. :( Well, unless you adore the taste of straight molasses. I guess I assumed that the apples and the batter would balance it out with a little sweetness, but not so much. It was just black slimy molasses-tasting lumps, under a pretty decent simple cake.

    I was the first to try it, and reacted so negatively that no one else would go near it. Alas. Well, at least now I know.

    ReplyDelete