homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

They're...gone!

(choke, sob)

It's a holiday weekend. This translates into family gatherings which extend for several days. Picnic today at Grandma's, swimming party tomorrow at Uncle C's. A good time to be had by all.

Since the question of tomorrow's itinerary has already been answered, it was of course also a night for easy-to-approve sleepover requests. (At the moment, the younger teen child and a nephew are battling on the Wii.) And for the first time, both of my little ones were included in that shuffle.

The littlest (C, who is 4) is tucked in down at Grandma & Grandpa's. It's the first stepping stone for sleepovers in this family, and the fact that they live within 2 miles of us (or vice versa, considering that they were here first) makes the possibility of late night reconsidering pretty easy to handle. It's not so scary when you know that Mom can be there within five minutes.

His 6-year-old brother, T, has made the jump to the Big Time. He's en route to Uncle C's farm, way-far-away in the next county. A good 45 minute drive. He's been asking for a sleepover there for quite some time, and begging HARD for the past few weeks. All the same, when we separated after the fireworks display this evening, he had a really rough time. He needed a lot of hugs, and tried very hard to keep the tears under control, but he was pretty emotional. Which made it difficult for me not to be a total mess. I put on my best "It's going to be FUN!" smiley face, but I wanted to just hold him for a while. Like until morning.

He's going to do fine. He's going to sleep hard after his long day and wake up early in the morning to go collect fresh eggs for his breakfast. (This has been the major appeal amongst many for this event.) Then he will play with his same-age, best-buddy cousin alllllllllllllllll day, and I'll see him around lunchtime when we finally head out there to join the fun.

But in the meantime, it's bedtime and my babies aren't here. And it's so bittersweet. I'm so proud of both of my big boys for making this step. But a little sad, too. I hope they don't need to call me tonight.

Now I need to remind myself to be a Big Girl and resist calling them. At least until after breakfast. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment