homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Food Friday: Golden Cream of Tomato Soup

My first recipe post!

Now, by "recipe", I mean more of a guideline. Like a knitting recipe. Nothing is exact; you plug in your own variables and go with it. Baking is for precise. Cooking is for sensing and adapting.

So, let's start with some yellow tomatoes. Yes, you could use red if you want...but the wonderfulness of this recipe is from the less acidic and slightly sweeter flavor of the yellow ones. How much, in weight? I have no idea. I don't own a kitchen scale. I used 7 medium-sized fruits; each roughly about the size of a baseball.

Peel the tomatoes. This is super easy: just simmer them for 30-60 seconds


and then plunge them into cold water for a few seconds.

brrrrrr...
This loosens the skins. Do NOT exceed the time in the simmer pot, and do NOT boil them. This will soften the whole dang fruit and then you'll have a mushy mess in your hands. What you want is for the skins to neatly peel off. If you're lucky, they'll shed automatically when you core the fruit.

like *so*
Next, de-seed the tomatoes. This part is hard for me to talk myself into, since the seeds and jelly are where most of the lyocpene resides. But it also makes for somewhat slimey, watery soup. So out they go.



Put the peeled, seeded tomatoes into a saucepan and cook over med-low heat for 15 minutes or so, until the flesh breaks down and the resulting slurry gets nice and bubbly.


While you're waiting for that to happen, saute one chopped onion and one large clove of garlic (minced) in about 2 Tbsp. of butter, until the onion becomes transparent. The garlic is optional, but I find that it offsets even more of the sour/acidic flavor of the tomatoes, further sweetening the final product. My final soup did not taste at all "garlicy".

 
Do NOT brown these, or the whole thing will be ruined and you should just go find a nice quiet place to have a good long cry about your failure as a cook. (Oh and Shut Up about the butter. It's a cream soup and it's going to get worse later. We are here for flavor, not fat-free!)

Add the onion/garlic to your tomatoes, along with your desired amount of stock. I used chicken stock because that's what I had on hand, and only about 1 cup because my tomatoes shed a lot of liquid and I like a thicker soup.

Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Then add a half-pint of light cream

oh God YES!
and simmer for an additional 5-15 minutes, or until your kitchen smells wonderful and you have gathered the necessary items for preparing grilled cheese sandwiches. Because nothing goes with tomato soup like grilled cheese sandwiches. Yummmm.

When you remove the soup from the heat, immediately stir in some fresh-chopped basil


and salt and pepper, to taste.


Finish grilling that sammich, pour into a bowl, and enjoy!


This is really ridiculously easy and soooooo tasty. Let me know if you try it!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks incredible! I have a bunch of orange cherry tomatoes. I wonder how one would make a soup from cherry tomatoes as they're so small...

    ReplyDelete