homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumn is here!

It's here! It's finally here! It's officially Fall!

Well, on the calendar anyway. You'd hardly know otherwise. The trees aren't any less green than they were last week. And it's actually a little bit hotter than last week as well. But it's finally, officially FALL!

Unlike all of those people who bemoaned the "end of summer" way back on Labor Day weekend, I look forward to the vernal equinox like most people look forward to Christmas. Autumn has always been my favorite time of year. There are aesthetic reasons of course...the beauty of the brilliant foliage, the warm days flanked by crisp nights, crackling bonfires and sweet apples and pick-your-own-pumpkin farms. It's all charming enough. But it's more than that. Something within me resonates with Autumn. I feel more alive, more peaceful, and more centered this time of year. Some people "rush the season" by donning shorts on the first day of above-50 temps in the spring, regardless of whether there is still snow on the ground. Me? I pack away the shorts and sandals and ignore the fact that for a few more weeks, I'll likely be sweating in my "fall" wardrobe. Autumn comes and I want to run outside and sing a joyful welcome song with the rest of the Whos down in Whoville.

Welcome Autumn
Fah who rah-moose
Welcome Autumn
Dah who dah-moose
Welcome Autumn
While we stand
Heart to heart
And hand in hand...

(Yeah. I'm a first-rate nerd. I'm okay with that.)

1 comment:

  1. Autumn comes, the summer is past
    winter will come to soon
    Stars will be clearer, skies be nearer,
    under the harvest moon.

    Autumn comes, so let us be glad
    singing and autumn tune
    hearts will be lighter, nights seem brighter
    under the harvest moon

    (this is a song I am singing with my choir at Sam's school for the celebration of Michaelmas. It seemed to fit with your writing.)

    Fall always makes me strangely happy. I can never put a finger on exactly what it is- I just love everything about fall. Even the rain that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete