homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Tea. Earl Grey. Crispy.



I adore Earl Grey tea, and I'm not too proud to admit that it became a beloved treat precisely because of Patrick Stewart Jean-Luc Picard. I don't know enough about tea to be snobby about it; I just know what I like. And I like me some Earl Grey.

I recently stumbled across an old Real Simple magazine, and a recipe for Earl Grey Tea Cookies. These just had to be good. So I made 'em.

Yup. Decaf. And yup...teabags. Told you I wasn't a tea snob.

The recipe assumes that you'll be using a food processor. We tend to kill food processors around these parts, so I did it the old-fashioned way, with my beloved pastry blender.
I just want to note how difficult it is to take an action shot with your non-dominant hand.

 I will also note that the dough works up much like piecrust (dry ingredients, cold butter, small amount of liquid), and that I found it necessary to increase the amount of liquid (by almost a Tablespoon more water) in order to get a workable dough. I was concerned that the dough would not set up right in the fridge, or would produce a too-soft cookie, but everything turned out okay. ;)

The resulting dough looked kind of gray and dirty. Like a big lump of sidewalk.
Mmmmm. Appetizing.

The final product had a wonderful texture. I varied the baking time to produce one batch of chewy and one of crispy. Both were flaky and light, and incredibly tasty. I wasn't sure the children would appreciate the flavor, but they gobbled them up. The bergamot gives just a hint of citrus aftertaste without being overpowering. 


This recipe is definitely going in the "keeper" file.

1 comment:

  1. LOLing at the 'sidewalk' comment. Gotta say, yeah, looked kinda wet-concrete-esque. ;)

    Glad they were yummy! It would have never occurred to me to put tea leaves in a cookie.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete