homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Manly, yes, but I like it too

Just in time for the holidays: another double-duty post: crafts AND collections. Today is the second of two aprons that are not part of my permanent stock but were made by me as a gift to someone. A while back, I shared the Church Lady apron, created for my favorite church lady--my sister. This is the companion piece, a barbecue apron for her husband.


I could have taken the easy way out. I could have bought a $5 blank at Wal-Mart and just embellished it. But I had some stash fabric and a vintage pattern and although I can pressure and overwhelm myself, the truth is that often the DIY experience is a gift to myself.

My new trick:
D-rings, for adjustable strap!

What I did well:
Double stitching!
Nice and neat bias edging on the underside.
(Yes, I trimmed that loose thread before wrapping the gift. I do have some pride.)
What I found disappointing:
Bias tape applied to top edge of pocket = my once-squared patch is now puckered. Boo.
Freezer-paper stenciling. Usually a win.
This time, the paper didn't fuse perfectly (I'd left some water in the iron and it steamed, urgh)
and there are some rough edges, especially on the lettering. :(
Also, as you may be able to tell from a few of the above images, the cut of fabric that I used was in my stash for far too long and has a permanent crease from where it was folded for storage. At least it's positioned down the center of the garment, which I suppose is a minor blessing.

All told, though, I was pretty pleased with how this turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment