homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Apron Monday: the Upstairs Maid

I don't know what it is about this apron that reminds me of a turn-of-the-century domestic. It's probably a little too frilly to qualify. Maybe it's just the fact that it's large and white, equal parts feminine and serviceable.
Also, I'm pretty sure that domestics are generally expected to wear shoes.
This apron was made for my mother by a good friend of hers. The only time I remember seeing her wear it was when she catered/served at another friend's wedding, sometime in the early 1980's. I'm not sure of the exact date of construction, or of the pattern publishing, but it's safe to guess sometime between, say, 1978 and 1983? Mom, if you're reading, maybe you could fill us in?

At any rate, this is, in my opinion, one of the loveliest aprons in my collection. It appeals to me for all of the key reasons: superior sewing technique, handmade, feminine, full-coverage, generous bib, and large pockets. Some of my favorite features are the inset lace



and the removable bib.

Yup. This apron is fully convertible; with both full and skirt-only options. I apologize for no skirt-only picture; I got, like, interrupted. I know, can you imagine? Kids...expecting attention. Sheesh.

Well, that about wraps it up for my current collection. I will continue to blog aprons as I acquire or create them, but the weekly updates are done. It's just as well...now that we're past the holidays I will actually have time to sit down and blog other things, rather than just devoting every spare moment to crafting, shopping, etc.

Then again, my best friend is expecting a baby and I've started another wave of gift knitting. ;) But I promise to pay more attention to my blog. Thanks for following!!

No comments:

Post a Comment