homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Parade of Finished Objects

It seems that lately, this is more of a crafting showcase than a homeschooling journal. Ah well, it *is* my little catch-all for enjoying our lives. Right now I'm enjoying crafting. So bear with me while I "ta-da!" once more.

I finished a few more things this week.

Here is a maternity shirt I just finished. I'm very happy with it. It's roomy but not boxy or tent-like. I adore the color. The jersey is thick and soft. And the best part? It's totally self-designed and drafted. I feel very good about this.

Naturally, there's one thing that I regret...a poorly-chosen moment during construction when I suddenly forgot everything I know about sewing and make a newbie mistake. Sigh. I'm still kicking myself for it. But it's a small and barely visible detail. so I'm trying to forgive myself.

I also made the jeans. Okay, not true. I altered them.

See? Fully belly panel. That low-rise thing isn't going to work for too much longer. 22 weeks down! These are tres sexy, no?

I tried to get a three-fer of FOs in a single picture, but the missing piece is a prayer shawl that I completed for my sister-in-law. First of all, one sure way to make a pregnant woman look even larger is to wrap her in knitwear. ;) Secondly,there was a pretty brisk wind blowing and it just didn't look graceful at all. So I did what I hope is a Ravelry-worthy drape-over-a-bench to try to showcase the lace.


I used this pattern from Crystal Palace Yarns, and just under two skeins of Lion Brand Sock-Ease. I love the pattern; I'm not crazy about the yarn. The nylon content gives too much elasticity for a project which I hope *stays* blocked open (I'm convinced that it's going to shrink and curl). Furthermore, the colorway (Lemon Drop) looks nothing like how it appeared on my computer screen when I placed my order (FWIW, it looks more accurate from my netbook, so I blame my old desktop monitor). What I'd thought would be a pale buttery yellow is neon. NEON, people! Luckily, my SIL's favorite color is yellow and I'd shown this yarn to her before I packaged it back up for a return. What I found garish, she found delightful. So while this would never be my first choice, I am hopeful that it will be loved by my recipient. ;)


Speaking of love...let me show you just the cutest little booties in the whole wide world.

I made these to celebrate the arrival of my best friend's infant daughter. What a wonderful pattern; I made this project in one day--the day the baby was born. The glass buttons are antique, and feature roses to honor the baby's middle name, Rose. The pattern is Saartje's Booties. And the yarn? It's leftover Malabrigo from my "Love Hat".


Love Booties. :) *happysigh*

And finally, I almost forgot to mention this little guy, who I just adore. I made this fabric storage cube (denim exterior, quilter's cotton interior, plastic canvas frame, all stash & scrap--woot for frugality!) for C's birthday. He's five now! Gee, guess I should blog that. Maybe tomorrow...


Anyway, I stole was inspired by this graphic somewhere online and recreated it in fabric paint and embroidery floss. Yes, the eyes are uneven but I kind of think that adds to the charm. :)

6 comments:

  1. You ARE amazing! <3 **sigh** I must hang out with you often once I'm home so that I may enjoy more good crafting vibes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow girl, you inspire me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Great job on all the projects. I absolutely adore those booties--I need to knit some. And the fabric box is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for now inspiring my baby gifts! I hadn't really landed on what I was going to make for the new sister of my daughter's friend- or for my friend who-just today!- had a baby girl. Now I know!

    But I would LOVE to hear you try to pronounce Saartje ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rachel, these are totally going to be my go-to baby gift. They're so fast and easy and so unbearably cute!

    And LOL on the name. I could try, but I'm sure I'd murder it badly...and instantly out myself as a clueless Amercian who speaks only one language. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS to Rachel...check out my comments on Ravelry (go to my profile, then my projects)...there are a few minor adjustments I would suggest to the pattern to make the final product a little neater.

    ReplyDelete