homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

It was one of those moments...

...when I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. To scold or hug.



I took a deep breath. Sometimes I am actually blessed enough to remember what it's like to be a child, and how their thought processes work differently from those of adults. No, they do not naturally consider consequences. That's a product of maturation and experience and, frankly, social training. When I saw this, although a part of my psyche was setting off the "How many times have I told them NOT to put STICKERS on the FURNITURE!?" alarms, a more gentle voice said, "They made beautiful things because they love you, and they wanted to give you a surprise."

The stickers (custom illustrations, every one) have been carefully removed and placed into my journal. The children have been acknowledged and hugged and given a gentle reminder about the proper surfaces for artistic expression.

And we all lived happily ever after.

As a mom who (especially lately...you have NO idea) has a tendency toward feeling overwhelmed and tense and out of control, having a reaction like this is pretty freaking awesome. My constant goal is to nurture more like it. I know I have a lot more work to do on "me", and little glimpses of potential are very, very encouraging.

3 comments:

  1. Good job, mamma!

    I find it SO hard to take that deep breath and look at the situation from my children's perspective. Good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James recently decorated his bed with a set of Stations of the Cross stickers. I just couldn't get mad about it.

    It is better than the skateboard stickers he put all over the cabinet. I do kind of expect that kind of thing from my 4 year old, you'd like to think by 12 they know better!

    Oh well, good job keeping your cool. It's not an easy thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done a lot of NOT keeping my cool lately...that's what made this incident so noteworthy. I need to remind myself that it's possible, and that I am capable of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete