homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Journal Entry/Homeschool Snapshot, 5/20/2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

I haven't posted in a while, and a structured format seems as good a way as any to catch up...

In my life this week...

(or more. More like a month...)

I loaned out my beloved netbook. Yes, we have an iPad, a PC, and I have access to a computer at my part-time job, but it seems that the missing link of my ever-handy and portable netbook has seriously diminished my likelihood of blogging. I should have it back in a few weeks (I gave it to a traveling friend so she can video-chat with her children, who I'm sure she misses immensely). So, yeah. Content slump. I'm still crafting like crazy, we finally got the garden planted, and my hormones are doing that lovely dance of pregnancy; where I'll have a day of high energy and good intentions, followed by several days of irritability and extreme sleepiness. Eh, like the netbook, it's also only temporary. We'll survive.

In our homeschool this week...

We have not been having a good time of it lately. Sigh. I've already been through it in great detail with a small group of friends, and I'm not sure I'm ready to reopen that wound here on-site. Which, I know, goes against the spirit of journaling and the point of this meme. Basically:
  • My drive and motivation seem to be sketchy lately. Sometimes I am "in the moment"; mostly I am not. I'm scatterbrained, tired, irritable, distracted, and overwhelmed.
  • T is digging in his heels. He does not enjoy being "taught to", and once our sessions start to feel less like a game and more like a lesson, he can be very difficult. My own short fuse is not helping us get through these times gracefully.

I beat my head against the "how it should/could be" wall pretty hard for a while , and finally...grudgingly...decided to declare a "break" from any formal or intentional "educating". Including my own neurotically conscious "gotta justify that unschooling can work" observing of their self-directed adventures. I need a deep breath and some real, peaceful living in the moment. I'm sure they will benefit from it as well. I'm just not sure how long we'll need this to last.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
Um...refer back to my emotional slump. That plus some relentlessly rainy weather adds up to a whole bunch of not much other than errands. I keep promising trips to the park which don't materialize, etc. We did manage to make it to the nature preserve and saw two new baby bison. I regret that I didn't have my camera along; they were so cute...small and light reddish brown, they looked more like Boxers (the dog) than soon-to-be-giant ruminants.

My favorite things this week were...
    • The kids played "sticker store" for days. I think the game is still officially in progress. They've produced some interesting artwork and it's charming to see them setting up their storefront and displaying their wares and dealing with their customers (myself and Daddy).
    • And just for me...a shipment of yarn. There's a great sale going on at WEBS until the 31st...if you craft, go grab some bargains!

    What's working/not working for us...

    See above. We had some limited success with more structured lessons, and then it all came crashing down around our ears. Right now the best I can spin is that perhaps a little "no pressure" time is working to heal us and prepare us for the next onslaught.

    Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

    Heh. Um...how to feel less out of control when the notion of structure panics you as well? I "get" the advice about schedules and whatnot, but although I may find them appealing in theory, in practice I rarely last more than a few days before I give up. I really think it may be easier for me to work on being at peace with NOT being in control. Easier said than done, eh?

    A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

    I came home from work one night to find this, from C (5). ♥

    2 comments:

    1. We have a routine for getting ready for the day and for getting ready for bed. Everything in between, I just roll with it. The few times I've tried to plan lessons, my girls have other ideas. And since their ideas are learning and academic, I let go of mine and go with theirs. Having the structure to start and end the day works very well for us. Maybe for you, too.

      ReplyDelete
    2. utilize www.starfall.com for phonics/reading. Kids LOVE it, it is FREE and it gives them a structured lesson(s) of phonics, prereading, and reading but they dont see the structure, just the fun, so it is a win-win! On days you dont feel well with pregnancy, you can utlize educational tv and instructional youtube videos to supplement what you are not feeling like doing. Hang in there! stopping by from the HMJ.

      ReplyDelete