homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

In Which Everything Changes

Sixteen days ago, my family welcomed its youngest member...a little boy, strong and healthy. And this change is changing everything else.

Because I have a newborn (and because I have been recovering from surgery), I have not been as available to my other children. I have not been able (at first) or as willing (later) to go on impromptu outings. My desire to start some more structured homeschool instruction? Back burner, alas. And blogging? Knitting? Sewing? Ha! I cannot plan my day, or commit to others' plans. My house is a disaster, I shower sporadically...ah yes, I remember how this time goes. My older kids are understandably a bit put-out, but I really have to give credit where credit is due. They both, at  only 7 and 5, have shown a great deal of emotional maturity in their patience with the baby and with me, and in their ability to articulate their feelings rather than just acting out. I'm awed...and grateful.

Because I have a newborn, I also have an overabundance of joy. Yes, this little bundle of needs is high-maintenance, but he's also just wonderful. I complain that I can "never put him down" and then the moment he falls asleep in my arms, I find that all I want to do is just gaze at him and nuzzle him and take in that new-baby smell. And the joy is shared and returned with interest. Every time my husband snuggles the little one, I fall in love with him all over again. Every small chore that my stepsons help with gives me faith that teenage boys may not be beyond redemption. (Sarcasm, people...don't get your panties in a bunch.) And ZOMG when T and C sing to their baby brother...my heart just about bursts from happiness.

The "wonders" in my life have just increased immeasurably. You just might not hear about them so frequently for a while. And that's as it should be. ♥

Welcome our newest wonder...J.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy every moment with your new son and new family routine. The blogoverse can, and will, wait. :)

    ReplyDelete