homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Homeschool Snapshot, 4/20/2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…
I have a teething baby. I'm very tired.

In our homeschool this week…
We continued our work on vowel diagraphs. This week is ow/ou. (Last week was ai/ay). T is showing a sudden burst of improvement in his reading. I'd pat myself on the back, but although my current approach seems to be producing some success, I think most of it should be attributed to his mood. Since my last update in general, I have been taking a more shotgun approach to developing reading skills. Some days we have instruction, some days practice. Practice may take the form of reading, writing, or games. I try to keep things from getting repetitive, and it seems to be helping a great deal.

I am inspired by…As always, my friends Jennifer and Mary, who seem so zen and together. I know they're human too, but they typically look so much calmer than neurotic ol' me.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
It was a busy week for us! We had three trips to the park, one to the library, and attended a morning performance of a local theater group. Only the play was planned ahead of time. I love having the freedom and flexibility to pick up and go if the mood strikes us. On one of our trips to the park, we met a homeschooling family on the playground. Although the mother spoke of math curriculum and Latin lessons, she was remarkably laid-back. Turns out she's pretty eclectic/adaptable, similar to my own approach. She gave me a lot of perspective and some reassurance and encouragement. (I'm kicking myself for not exchanging contact information, but that's a whole 'nother blog post...)

My favorite thing this week was…
C's birthday! Also, an unscripted moment when C used a busy-beads baby toy to demonstrate how a water screw works. He really paid attention on that field trip to the daVinci exhibit a few weeks ago!!

What’s working/not working for us…
See above, our current approach to literacy skill building. For now, that's working. What's not working? Trying to work with one kid while the other kid is doing everything in his power to be distracting. I have these moments when I wonder how on earth classroom teachers keep 20 or more kids on-task. I have a strong suspicion that, if schooled, at least one of my children would be labeled a troublemaker and "managed" for the sake of the group. I keep flashing back to my college classes in education and how much was about behavior control. It makes me sad...

Things I’m working on…
I'm good at embracing spontaneous teachable moments. I'm not so good at scheduling and planning consistently. I have ideas...but then life intrudes...and life's demands will NOT wait. I feel overwhelmed quite often.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Speaking of overwhelmed....this is funny because it's TRUE.


3 comments:

  1. I don't have a baby. Big. Big. Difference. :D

    I am very zen most of the time -- though completely and totally human, fallible and ridiculous as well.

    <3 Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the zen. I feel like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!" most of the time.

    And my daughter is VERY difficult when I need to do extra reading with my son. Given that he has trouble focusing in his class of almost 30 kids (and even though his teacher does not agree, I am pretty sure he's distracted by the PRESENCE of so many people) it surprises me that he is capable of ignoring her so well. What's more frustrating is that he will read one sentence well and quickly, and the next is like pulling teeth. But when he applies himself, he does really well, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I love your picture of the lady on the chair. I feel like that quite often myself.

    ReplyDelete