homeschooling, homemaking, homesteading...home.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A quick rant about semantics

We have a toddler again. We often watch toddler programming on television. Even on PBS, there are commercials for ABCMouse.com, many of which include wording to set up the product pitch along the theme of "my child didn't like learning". Or the flip side of the sentiment, "Now he loves learning!"

Every time I hear this, I want to rip my hair out and throw it at the screen. (But I don't, because that would  be certifiably insane.)

I can't think of anyone, of any age, who doesn't like learning.

I can think of plenty of people who don't enjoy/do well with/pursue academics or pedantic/forced instruction and related practice.

And if you don't know the difference, well, anything else I could say on the subject is not for you, because you will not get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment